Wednesday, May 13, 2009

So good you'll wanna slap yo mama!

Our dinner tonight was so unbelievably delicious, I would feel terrible if I didn't share it with you... I got the recipe from this month's Southern Living. We had shrimp and grits, and the recipe is the one used at The Hominy Grill in Charleston. Ask anyone from Charleston or anyone who has visited Charleston, and they will tell you this place is one of the best restaurants there... and shrimp and grits is about as southern as it gets... anyway...

As I mentioned in my previous post on grocery shopping, I plan my weekly menus around what is in the sale sheet for the week. This week Kroger has shrimp on sale ($3.99/lb), sliced mushrooms on sale ($1.67/8oz package), green onions on sale ($0.49/bunch), and Hormel bacon on sale ($3.00)... all of these items are ingredients in the shrimp and grits - so it's not only DELICIOUS, it's cheaper (make no mistake, I said "cheaper", not "cheap" - this was definitely a splurge meal... it probably cost me about $15 to make, but we couldn't have had it at Hominy Grill for that... not to mention we have left-overs for about 3 more meals!). Sadly, it was the only meal I will cook this week because of Kevin's football schedule. They are in the middle of spring practice, and he's driving home from Dahlonega every night, getting in pretty late... So I figured a "splurge" meal was definitely in order! I can eat left-overs or cold cereal the rest of the week, right?! :)
So... on to the good stuff... I'm not going to go to the trouble of copying the entire recipe here, but I will point you in the right virtual direction... Here is the recipe for the shrimp mixture... and here is the recipe for the yummiest cheese grits ever... I will tell you, I used quick grits instead of the stone-ground... much quicker, and no different. Also, I had everything pre-chopped and measured out before I started - Kevin even helped me peel and devein the shrimp. I got the grits going, and then started on the shrimp mixture, and they both were finished at the same time. We went from walking in the door to sitting down to eat in 35 minutes! Like I said, this recipe makes a TON, so for the two of us I will definitely half the recipe in the future... it would also be a wonderful meal for visitors.

I hope you enjoy this as much as we did... It was FANTASTIC!!

1 comment:

Cori said...

wow!!! as you can tell I've been out of the blogging loop for a bit. we just got back from a cruise and I'm finally catching up in blogland! congrats congrats on the job for Kevin!!! go Kevin!!! How exciting - you will simply love it there! and yummy shrimp and grits - aren't they just to die for! one of my favorite meals! we must catch up more. will call soon. you know how nutty school is this time of year! whew!!! 13 more days til' summer!! and very impressive with the athlete picts!! love it!