Thursday, October 29, 2009

In Need of a Major Detox

Hi. My name is Krista, and I have a problem.

I'm going to lay a lot out in this post. Judge me if you wish, but this is all stuff that has been on my mind in recent days, and it just all came together this morning in a big way.

My life has been flooded with trash lately. TV. Music. Internet. I have literally been taken over by trash. At first it just crept in - so little that I didn't even notice. But, finally, it all showed its ugly face this morning bright and clear.

I never actually sit down and "watch" morning TV, but I will admit that as soon as my feet hit the downstairs floor in the morning - usually carrying a bleary eyed baby girl ready for her breakfast - I immediately grab the remote and turn the TV on to "listen" to Good Morning America as I make, and then sit down to eat, our breakfast. No big deal, right? Well, then comes Regis and Kelly - we've got to see who's on this morning! Oh, it's a trashy actor coming on to talk about their even trashier movie that's coming out this week, that I would never in a million years go to see? OK, we must watch it.... as I simultaneously check my email, facebook, blog, read the ever-trashier AJC online, etc., etc., etc... all while that adorable little girl goes into her playroom to play by herself. Don't they encourage "alone time" for all children?! Well, then comes 10:00 and the Doctors. Dumbest. Show. Ever. And I'm a former Health teacher! But does the TV get turned off? Nope. Most of the time it does get muted as Addison and I play together for a little bit in the playroom - but never too far away from the iPhone, just in case an email comes through or someone posts a status update. Then what? Oh yeah, The View. I couldn't imagine getting through my day without listening to these women discuss their immoral, anti-everything-I-believe-in, trashy, trashy, trashy "views". But, then they also have the same above mentioned actor on to discuss the same movie that's coming out this weekend as we saw just 2 hours ago on Reg and Kell. But when does the TV get turned off you ask? Only after Whoopi "takes a little time to enjoy the view". Ugh. It is now noon, and what do I have to show for my morning? Dirty breakfast dishes in the sink, and my child and I both still in our pajamas.

Now it is time for lunch... and then Addison's nap. Perfect time to get busy, right? Nope. Gotta go read everyone's status updates on Facebook again, because God forbid they do something that I don't know about! To my credit, at least I USUALLY do get in a shower during this time.... but how could I take a shower and get dressed without some trashy music on in the background?! I think some quiet time alone would just be too much to handle. Must. Have. Music.

Gone are the days of beating Addison out of bed, getting a shower and getting dressed, and being a cup of coffee down before she wakes. Gone are the days of my daily chore chart, and keeping a well-run household. LONG gone are the days of hitting the gym every morning. My new mentality?

So what if the house is a little "messy"? It just means it is well lived in.

So what if I didn't happen to get a shower today, and I'm still in sweats and ponytail when my husband comes home? He knows how hectic our days can be.

So what if my child doesn't see sunshine except through a closed window for 2 days? We'll go to the playground tomorrow - Oh, it's supposed to rain tomorrow? Well, then maybe the next day.

So what if my husband works a 12 hour day, and then comes home to grilled cheese sandwiches and warmed up Campbell's soup? He understands that I just didn't *feel* like cooking tonight.

So what if I honestly, and shamefully, couldn't tell you the last time I sat down by myself and spent time with God in His Word? Surely He gets it that I just really needed that extra 30 minutes of sleep this morning.

I have become slack. In everything. And I'm convinced that it is coming from the trash that I am letting into my life - both consciously and unconsciously. It is time for a detox in my life, and it is going to start now. No more trashy morning TV. No more trashy music being played. Less time spent on the computer. More quality time spent with my child. More time spent being a good wife, and keeper of our home. More time spent in quiet, alone with my thoughts and my God.

Why am I throwing all this out there on such a public forum? Because, I know if I put it out there for you to read, I will hold myself to it. And I hope that you will help hold me to it. We all need a little help from our friends from time to time, right?!

Oh yeah, and Facebook? Look out, I'm coming for you next! But for now... Baby steps, baby steps. :)

4 comments:

Jenny said...

Wow! I hope this gives you a boost to do your "detox" because I know you just kick-started mine! Thanks for being honest and real...it's nice to know I'm not the only one who struggles with these things. Thank goodness we have a God who loves us no matter what we do, but also loves us too much to let us continue.

Lauren said...

Thank you for sharing your heart and your struggles with us! This makes me miss you even more. I went through a detox a couple of months ago where pretty much every time I *did* get online, I was like, "Ugh, I'm just over it!!"

Being home all the time, it's pretty easy to get sucked into things that waste our time, because we feel like we have so MUCH of it, and we can always "do that later." But that's not true, and you're right: the truth is that the trash out there suuuucks our motivation right out of us.

Phil 4:8 says "Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things."

I'll be praying for you! :)

Marcie said...

When it comes time for the break up with facebook, do what Lauren did one time and make your bed up with your laptop in it every morning (if you have a laptop, that is. A desktop would be a bit more of a hassle). I just think that is hilarious and ingenius at the same time.

Good luck with the detox! :)

Tonya said...

Hey Krista,
Well said! And, I too feel that way as well. As I was reading your words, many of the were hitting close to my heart too!

I hope you, Kevin, and Addison had a good Halloween--and she has a birthday coming up right??

I miss you guys! We need to plan a time to get our girls together!

Take care,
Tonya