Monday, December 15, 2008

The pediatrician lied...and I believed her

Yesterday Addison had her first official photo shoot. Janet and E.J. of Blue World Studios did a fantastic job on our wedding photos, and they are just really cool people, so we were excited to have them come over and take some photos of 6-week-old Addison. The house is decorated for Christmas so we got some cute pictures of her in her Christmas dress in front of the tree, and then we did the obligatory nakie bottom pictures, and then just some ones of her in an every day outfit hanging out in her room. I can't wait to see the pictures and I'll be sure to post the link once they are finished with them. But, I digress... the whole point of this story is not the actual picture taking, but Addison's disposition during the picture taking...

Our usually very happy, very smiley baby was NOT enjoying all the paparazzi. She fussed and fussed and fussed some more. I know she wasn't happy about having tights on... or later the cute little Santa hat... but we couldn't get her to smile for anything... all this after I told Janet and E.J. "she just got up from her nap and finished eating, so we should have a HAPPY baby for pictures!" ... she made me a liar.

So we took what pictures we could, and they were SOOOOO patient with us - just telling us to go about our day like they weren't there and maybe she would calm down and we could get some good ones. And, we did get some good ones (or at least I think we did!)... Thankfully I had prepared a bottle that morning just in case I had to feed her while they were here. Every time she would get inconsolable we would give her an ounce or so just to calm her down... Hey, doesn't food make YOU happy?! :) I would never do that on a regular basis, but considering the situation, I was willing to try anything that would work.

After they left, Addison was knocked out in her crib and Kevin and I were talking...

Me: "I can't believe she was so fussy. She is never like that... especially in the mornings when we are playing!"

Kevin: "Didn't you notice that the only times she wasn't fussy and they could get her picture were the times when we were holding her and she had her paci? She's not used to being put down and not held."

Me: "But the pediatrician said that we couldn't spoil her this young, and to cuddle her and hold her as much as we want!"

Kevin: *raised eyebrow stare*

Sooooo... even though I don't want to believe that I have spoiled my child already, I also don't want to be the mom dropping my 4-year-old off at preschool with her clinging to my leg and screaming. So, this morning I decided to start working on NOT holding her every minute of the day (I do put her in her crib for naps, but other than that, she's pretty much in my arms or I am right there beside her on her playmat). So, she got up from her nap and got fed, and then I put her in her swing to rock for a while. I put the mirror up so she could see herself, turned the music on, even put her paci in her mouth... and. stepped. away. Then the crying began. And, not just a little whining... I'm talking screaming, thrashing, WAILING crying. So I sat down on the ottoman beside the swing and talked to her trying to sooth her. She kept crying. I put her paci back in her mouth. She spit it right back out and kept crying. I gently stroked her head. She kept crying. I let this go on for about 5 minutes and then she started looking at me through the screams with the most heartbreaking "mommy, why aren't you picking me up?" eyes I have ever seen, and my defenses buckled. I reached in and picked her up. And wouldn't you know the very instant she was picked up the crying stopped. So, now here I sit, with a literally smiling baby in my lap, and all I can think is that darned pediatrician lied to us and I WILL be the mom dropping her screaming 4-year-old off at preschool... but at least I don't have to look at those heart-wrenching eyes right now!

1 comment:

Marcie said...

Uh - oh...

Looks like you've got a situation on your hands!

My niece went through that recently. Her mom did nothing but hold her every waking moment, and she was a basketcase whenever we would keep her. I mean, bad. Her mom has gotten better about letting her cry sometimes and also letting her have her indepedent play time. She is totally over it now, thank goodness. So, it will get better, but you have to be strong and let her cry some! She'll learn. :)